Those looking to have their dream house constructed can benefit from knowing the basics of home building. There are numerous factors in architect designed homes which require significant planning. Below are some of the things to consider when you are planning to have your own house built by contractors and how to manage them.
Your first step is to know the budget you are willing to put down for the construction of your house. For those who are applying for a loan, their expenses to pay it off should not be more than 25 per cent of their take home salary each month. Having a good idea of how much you can spend will make it easier for you to determine expenses like the home builder’s rate, the lot, materials to be used and insurance coverage.
One important tip, leave about 10 per cent of the budget as your emergency fund. This can be used for scenarios when you need to spend more than the planned budget. For example, you may need to purchase additional materials if something goes wrong with the project. Having a flexible budget can save you time and avoid a lot of problems in building your home.
The next thing to consider is the space your dream house will be standing on. If you are able to plan out the budget, you can choose a lot with a price which fits into your monthly expenses. An ideal place for your new home should be close to your place of work or your friends and family.
It is important to factor in the local building code of the lot while you are looking for land to build on. Certain restrictions in house designs are implemented in the house design for some areas.
The home builder
Choosing the right home builder can be based on what type of house you want. There are two general types of home builders:
- Production builders – Production builders offer a set of stock designs which are typically easier and cheaper to build.
- Custom builders – This type of builder is able to help property owners in creating their own unique house designs.
When choosing the right home design architect, you will need to consider their qualifications. Here are some of the questions you will need to ask:
- Are they currently licensed to the state they are working in?
- Were they able to win any awards for home building or anything related?
- How many customers have they served? Do they have any customers who hired them more than once?
- Were there any feedbacks from their previous customers?
- Do they have a portfolio of their previous projects? Is any of the house design they built close to what you want for your own dream home?
- Do they have insurance? Are they able to cover any liability for the workers, property owners, and other third party individuals?
Carefully consider everything above in order to fully plan-out the dream house you’ve always wanted. Remember to work closely with the project manager of the home builder you hired in order to be able to stick with your budget and finish the construction in the expected time.