With utility bills on the rise, we are all looking for ways to save money. Maintain your home with these cost effective tips to conserve energy and reduce heating and water costs.
- Open curtains and blinds during the day to warm rooms naturally.
- Put insulating shades at windows and close them in the evening to keep cold out and warmth in.
- Keep fireplace flue closed when not in use to reduce heat loss.
- Install heat resistant radiator reflectors between exterior wall and radiator to maximize heat radiance.
- Use ceiling fans in reverse to push warm air downward.
- Install tight fitting storm windows or invest in double-paned windows to keep out cold air.
- Identify dirty spots in insulation and apply spray foam to combat air seepage.
- Bleed trapped air from hot water radiators 1 or 2 times per season to maximize radiator efficiency.
- Install cold weather stripping around windows and unused doors to keep in warm air.
- Seal exhaust fan ductwork with a magnetic cover when fan is not in use to prevent air leaks.
- Install a programmable thermostat to adjust temperature automatically when no one is home.
- Change furnace filters regularly to maximize performance.
- Have furnace cleaned yearly by a professional to remove accumulated dust and dirt that can strain the system and increase operating costs.
- Wash clothes in cold water whenever possible.
- Repair leaky faucets promptly; install aerating low-flow faucets and shower heads to reduce water consumption.
- Remove hoses from outside faucets and shut off water at inside supply to prevent frozen pipes.
- Insulate first 6 feet of hot and cold pipes connected to water heater and add heat traps to prevent heat loss.
- Flush water heater every 3 months to remove sediment and discourage corrosion.
- Set water heater thermostat to 120 degrees Fahrenheit and insulate tank to optimize tank performance.
- Insulate indoor pipes in unheated rooms, like garages and basements, with heat tape or foam to retain water temperature.
Contact your local heating and plumbing professional for assistance or more information.
Using just a few of these tips can decrease heat and water usage, reduce utility bills and put more money in your pocket.