If you suspect that you might have a problem with mold in your home you should take steps to identify and get rid of it before it becomes a real problem. A little bit of mold here are there might not be injurious to your health but you should take care of it immediately to prevent it from spreading to other areas of your home.Black mold is toxic and can lead to odors, discoloration and allergies so use these early signs to detect mold in your apartment and get rid of it.
It is often possible to smell mold well before it is visible in your apartment. A musty odor that is more obvious when the heat or air conditioning is turned on is a sign that mold is growing in some invisible places in the home. If you don’t have a visible evidence of the mold the musty odor is an indicator that the mold could be growing behind your walls and ceiling.
Allergies and other related respiratory problems are another way to detect mold in an apartment where the mold is not visible. If one or more people in the home suddenly develops allergic reactions like sinus infections, flu-like symptoms, asthma, respiratory infections, watery eyes, headaches, skin rashes or listlessness it could be a sign of mold. This allergic reaction to the mold can be confirmed if the allergies dissipate when away from the apartment.
These allergic reactions could become chronic if the mold is not detected and removed. Keep in mind that only a few types of mold cause allergies so a sample will need to be collected for testing by an industrial hygienist. A mold remediator will be able to locate the mold if it’s not visible.
Walls that look discolored are another early sign of mold in the home. The discoloration is caused by yellowish water stains on the walls or ceilings. This is a sign of too much moisture in the area and mold will be the ultimate result of unwanted moisture.
The discoloration can change from yellow to brown green or black when the problems with mold become more serious. If you do not have discoloration but notice spots that are black, green, or brown that look a lot like mildew spots then this can also be a sign of mold.
Drips and leaky pipes are other symptoms of mold. Mold needs moisture to live and so it’ll start growing in places where there is excessive moisture. Leaks, especially small ones often go undetected so the mold might be a huge problem by the time that you spot the leak.
Mold caught between your bathroom tiles and within your bathtub is another sign that you have mold. At this stage it will be visible but if you do not see it in other places you might easily brush it off. Mold especially loves the environment within a bathroom.
The area is moist and the porous grout means that it is easy for water to accumulate just behind the tiles. Grout also traps dirt which provides all the nutrients that mold needs to multiply.
Use these signs as a way to detect the possibility of mold but you should also get a hygrometer and install it in your home. It will measure the relative humidity and a reading of 55-60 and above means that your home is really humid which would increase the possibility of mold living there. A dehumidifier will help to remove some of the excess humidity.
In your search to locate mold always check dark and damp places like the basement, attic, sheds, closets and look out for damp floors and walls which could be an indication of leaks.